Child support when one parent makes more than the other

On behalf of Peterson Stark Scott posted in Family Law on October 8, 2015.

As anyone who has children knows, they can be expensive. Because of this, it is not surprising that when a couple with children decides to end their relationship, a major issue that needs to be resolved is who will cover the various costs associated with raising the kids. A couple does not need to be married for this situation to arise.

When one parent makes more than the other child support matters can be particularly challenging.  A  B.C. Supreme Court Justice recently ruled on a situation of this nature. The Court’s ruling pertains to matters concerning the interim support professional hockey player, Duncan Keith, must pay for, among other things, child support. Keith and his soon-to-be ex-wife, who first started dating as teens and have one child, called it quits more than a year ago. She was seeking an interim payment of $69,270 a month in child support.

Since they split, Keith had been paying a total of $10,000 each month in support. In addition, he had also paid $10,000 per month on the mortgage for the house where his ex and child lives and to cover expenses related to the property’s upkeep.

The judge failed to grant her request but ordered Keith to make interim child support payments of $15,000 each month. In addition, he was ordered to pay interim spousal support totaling $45,000 each month. He is also expected to continue to pay the $10,000 for house payments and related expenses.

In British Columbia, child support payments are based on the incomes of each parent and, in some situations, their ability to earn income.  In some circumstances, the amount of time the child spends with each parent may be taken into account. Though the amounts ordered by the judge in this case are much less than the mother sought, because interim payments are designed to exist for what is usually a short time, until an agreement is finalized, it is possible that when all is said and done the mother will receive not only more child support but more spousal support as well.

Contact the Family Law Group at Peterson Stark Scott to discuss your rights and obligations regarding support generally and child support specifically.

Leave a comment