Committees and Adult Guardianship

Diminished mental capacity can leave a person unable to manage financial, medical and legal affairs. If a power of attorney or representation agreement is not in place, no other persons, including family members, have the legal ability to make financial or medical decisions for that individual without obtaining a court order. Documents giving this authority cannot be signed once mental incapacity has set in. Concerned family members can address this issue by applying to the court for legal authority/guardianship over their loved one's affairs. This is called applying to be appointed committee.

There are two types of committees:

  • Committee of the estate, which gives the committee authority over financial, business and legal decisions.
  • Committee of the person, which relates only to health and medical decisions.

If you are concerned about the decision-making ability of a family member and wish to be given the legal authority to manage the affairs of your loved one, our Surrey estates lawyers can help. We will assess your situation and provide you with legal options for protecting that person's financial and medical interests. Our lawyers will assist you in your committee application, and advise you on your duties and responsibilities once appointed.

We Can Answer Your Questions

To learn more about protecting the interests of a friend or family member who is unable to make important financial or medical decisions, reach us at 604-588-9321, 604-588-9321 or email our law firm.