Real Estate Property Division

Real property, such as land and the family home, is often a couple's greatest asset. The family home can be considered family property and therefore subject to division if a couple separates. One or both spouses may have other interests in real estate, including land outside British Columbia, which may complicate negotiations.

Peterson Stark Scott is one of Surrey's longest established law firms, and our lawyers are able to deftly navigate issues of divorce and real estate. Our team has comprehensive practices in family law and real property transactions, and clients benefit from this diverse and relevant knowledge in their divorce proceedings.

Navigating Ownership, Title and Valuation of Real PropertyLegal Assistant Shelley Riley

Property can be a complex part of asset division in divorce. While spouses can negotiate a final settlement out of court, they may disagree on what happens to the property in question. In particular, when a couple has children, it may be preferable for them to remain living in the family home. Who remains in the home with the children is therefore directly related to parenting arrangements and who will retain title to the property.

If spouses jointly own the property, one may buy the other out, or the home may be sold. Valuation of the property can therefore have a direct bearing on the final settlement between spouses. Additionally, the nature of a property transfer can have tax implications for both spouses. If one spouse owns property outside of British Columbia, there may be additional complications.

Trustworthy and Accessible Legal Advice

Over more than 40 years in British Columbia, the lawyers at Peterson Stark Scott have developed a comprehensive practice that is designed to meet all aspects of our clients' legal needs. Regardless of the complexity of your real property concerns, our lawyers have the knowledge and experience to help you through them.

Tell Us about Your Legal Matter

To speak with a lawyer about your divorce or separation, contact the firm. Call 604-588-9321 or 1-800-555-3288 or reach us online.